Mrs. Maha Barjas Hammood Al Barjas – General Secretary
Qualifications & Education
(1986 – 1987) BA in Political Sciences, University of Kuwait.
- Researcher in Politics at his Highness, Prince and Prime Minister of Kuwait, Diwan from February, 1988 till May 1997.
- Forewoman of Secretarial Management at Public Administration and Secretarial Affairs Management at his Highness, Prince of Kuwait, Diwan from May, 1997 till July, 2003.
- Director of Coordination and Overseeing Management at his highness, the Prince and Prime Minister, Diwan from the 24th of October, 2004 until the present.
- The Trustee Secretary-in-chief of the Kuwaiti Alumni Association from December, 2006 until the present.
- A board member of the Kuwaiti Alumni Association from the January, 1995 till 2006.
- Secretary-in-chief of the Kuwaiti Alumni Association for a temporary period (1999 – 2000).
- Vice President of the Kuwaiti Human Rights Association from April, 2008 till April, 2012.
- Board member of the Kuwaiti Human Rights Association from 2001 till April, 2008.
- A member of the electoral campaign for the candidate of the Parliament (Majless Al-Omma) Mr. Mohamed Jasem Al-Saqer (2006).
- A member of the electoral campaign for the candidate of the Parliament (Majless Al-Omma) Mr. Abdullah Mohamed Al-Naibari (2009).
- A Member of the Board of Trustees of the Arab Organization of Human Rights from April, 2008 till 2011.
- Vice President of the Arab Organization of Human Rights from April, 2011 till now.
- Secretary General of the Kuwaiti Red Crescent Society.
- President of Al-Khat Al-Insani(The Humanitarian Line) Organization since June, 2012.
- A member of the Preparatory Committee for the Civil Alliance West – East to Stand against Hate Speech and to Promote and Reinforce Tolerance (2015).
- A Member of the Development Forum.
- A Member of Women’s Cultural and Social Association.
- A member of the Kuwaiti Journalists Association.
Conferences, Courses &Workshops:
- A diplomatic training course “Actions of Regional and International Organizations”, University of Kuwait, Faculty of Commerce and Political Sciences (11 – 29 March, 1989).
- A regional workshop “Development Communication through Participation and Documentation” , Amman, Kingdom of Jordan (16 – 19 June, 2002).
- A regional training course “Organizations, Planning Management and Raising Funds”, Manama, Bahrain (9 – 18 October, 2003).
- “Media and Wise Governance Conference” at Protecting the Freedom of Journalists Center, Amman, Kingdom of Jordan (14 – 16 February, 2005).
- “Regional Conference on Transparency and Accountability”, Beirut, Lebanon (the 29th of March – the 1st of April, 2004).
- “Regional Governance Management Week: Social Accountability in a Region with Variable Key Players and Mechanisms”, Cairo, Egypt (26 – 29 November, 2013).
- “Communication & lobbying Skills for Women”, British Embassy, the British Council and Kuwait Economic Society, Kuwait (11 – 15 January, 2003).
- “Effecting, Political, Social and Economic Change: Young Leaders Project.
- “International Visitor Program of the United States”, Department of State (16 July – 3 August, 2001)- USA.
- Middle East Themed Visit: Women’s Participation (7 – 11February, 2005), Foreign &Commonwealth Office – UK.
- International Visitor Leadership Program: “Women as Political Leaders”, (October 26 – November 13 ,2009), Department of State – USA.
- A regional Workshop: “The Role of Civil Society and the Media in Promoting Tolerance and Pluralism in the Middle East and North Africa”.
- A regional workshop “Rabat’s Plan of Action against Incitement to Hatred” (17 – 18 October, 2014) , Tunisia.
- The international conference “Security Challenges & Human Rights in the Arab region” (5 – 7 November, 2014), Doha, Qatar.
- I was a part of the delegation of the Arab Organization of Human Rights which visited UAE in the 8th of October, 2012. This visit lasted for 6 days and was mainly aimed at searching and discovering the aspects of reinforcing and supporting the efforts of the state in supporting and aiding the Syrian refugees and emigrants who were forced to leave their homes; in addition to discussing some issues and affairs concerning human rights in the UAE.
- I, along with a number of humanitarians, have taken part in launching an initiative entitled “Kuwaiti People for Bedoon People (People without a nationality; stateless)” which aims at establishing social peace and exerting efforts to activate a framework which deals with all urgent and persisting issues which “stateless” people suffer from.
- I, along with Civil Society Group, have taken part in Future Forum (2008).
- I was awarded Arab Woman Award in the Field of Humanitarian Work in 2013.